Saturday, November 20, 2010

Reflections

I wrote this on my main blog in the Spring of 2010, but I thought it a fitting first entry for my Reflections blog:

Three Sisters

Teresa, Lavonda and Tina
God has blessed me with two amazing sisters, Tina and Lavonda.  I love them both so very dearly.  With my mother just losing one of her sisters to cancer, it has made me want to hold on to my sisters even more.  I think this is a normal response in times of grief, but I hope that we do not lose this lesson.  We are close, my sisters and I.  I have a special relationship with each one, but very different at the same time.  This is how God made us women (and men, too), though.  We are each unique, yet have so much common ground.
For Mother's Day this year, my two sisters bought my parents tickets for a train ride.  If you are fairly local, I have included the link here for the beautiful trip from Ettowah, TN to Copper Hill, TN, then lunch and return. 


On this trip, my oldest sister Tina took along her camera.  She is an amateur photographer, but a VERY GOOD amateur photographer.  (UPDATE as of NOV 2010, she is now taking photography classes and not so amateur anymore!)  While on the train, she captured one of the most amazing pictures I have ever seen.  I was captivated as soon as I saw it and had a special project in mind immediately.  I asked her to send me the picture on my computer in high resolution so I could have an 8 x 10 made of it.  In true BIG SIS fashion, though, that evening as I was at my parents' house, there was my 8 x 10 waiting for me!  THANK YOU TINA!

Lavonda in REFLECTION
Lavonda in REFLECTION
My mother was taking me to an appointment the day after my sister had surprised me with the picture, so we decided to go to Hobby Lobby.  I wanted to find a picture frame that was simply a mirror, but to no avail.  I finally found a black picture frame that is very shiny and knew that with some embellishments, it would work just right.  SO OFF TO THE JEWELRY AISLE WE WENT...which led to a trip to the scrapbooking aisle...and finally after a much longer trip than anticipated, I felt I had everything I needed, and my mother and I were TUCKERED OUT!  Did I mention everything I got for the project was 50% off???
The next day, I laid my project out after cutting out the letters from the scrapbooking items for my frame and the jewels for the jewelry pendants.  I wrote an email to my oldest sister Tina and sent her pics of my project and ideas.  I had the word REFLECTIONS on the frame, but was not sure where to place it.  Tina is a great one for opinions.  She wrote back and said she thinks I should add 1 Corinthians 13:12 and then she wrote the following words in her email:

Reflection
The world is a looking glass and gives back to every woman the reflection of her own face.

Is that not beautiful?  SO this meant ANOTHER TRIP to Hobby Lobby because I did not have enough letters to add the verse to the picture, but knew immediately that she was correct.  I had also accidently bought BRADS the first visit, so on this visit, I bought self adhesive gemstones instead and did not use the brads at all.
The following are the products I used for my project (plus a picture frame large enough for an 8 x 10 picture)...I think I used 3 packs of the letters and 3 packs of the clear gemstones, as well as one pack of multicolored gemstones.  I included a picture of the jewels I made from 4 plain circle mirror pendants with the colored gemstones, but I have still not decided if I will use them at all.

REFLECTIONS project products
REFLECTIONS project products
I finished the project last night in about an hour!  I did not add the jewels as I had intended originally.  (Excuse the smudges, I guess I should have cleaned it with windex before taking the final picture of the picture!) 

REFLECTIONS of Lavonda
REFLECTIONS of Lavonda
The mantle is not the final place for the picture.  (UPDATE:  as of NOV 2010, it is STILL PROMINENTLY DISPLAYED ON MY MANTLE!)  I just wanted to get a picture of it without the flash on it.  I plan to hang this picture on the wall and I think I will decide after I get it in place whether I should glue the multicolored jewels to the picture.  I like it just like this. 

REFLECTIONS on mantle
REFLECTIONS on mantle
I Corinithians 13:12 

Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.      New International Version

For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.     English Standard Version

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.     King James Version

No comments:

Post a Comment