Tuesday, May 3, 2011

We're either in a storm, through a storm, or approaching a storm...

We're either in a storm, through a storm, or approaching a storm...


I have heard this statement many times over growing up.  It was meant figuratively with our christian life, but lately it is more realistically how life is going. 

Our area was just hit with a total of 16 tornadoes, 4 of which touched down in our little town.  Never in my life do I recall the weather being so severe as this!  I spent several hours in my father-in-law's basement last wednesday as the storms rumbled and rolled through, pulling up a poplar by its roots, shaking my home's foundation until some of the blocks actually fell, and crashing down huge trees on the farm next to our house, stopping all traffic on the major highway by our home.  The power was out for five days in our area. 

We were very fortunate that this was all that happened in our area because this is all that happened in our area of the mountain.  Meanwhile, in the valley disaster was widespread with two deaths being reported in our town alone, and hundreds of homes were destroyed as well as many local businesses.

I was invited to a local bluegrass jam last night as a benefit for the victims.  When I walked into the room, I was simply stunned at what I saw!  There were tables lined along the walls and throughout the building full of clothes, all sorted...and shoes lined up that were all donations.  Food had been prepared and was free or for donation only.  There was a mix up with the groups, as there were two other groups there as well, so we only performed for about 30 minutes, but we still had fun.  What was most striking to me was how the community had come together and was doing something to help as best they could. 

I have felt at a loss as to what I could do to help and about that time my sister started a clothing/shoe drive for the Chattanooga area.  I decided to add our town to the drive just to see if I could do SOMETHING to help someone.  I do not know if anyone will even show up at my location for the drive since so many are without power or internet services in our area and the message may not have reached them, but I am definitely cleaning out my closet today! 

I also read on my friend Cammy's blog that her family's homestead was destroyed.  Please be in prayer for her family as they start over.

God has us UNDER HIS WINGS during danger, just as a mother hen takes her chicks under her wings for protection.  We must remember that FEAR does not come from the LORD.  We must also remember that God is NOT the author of CHAOS.  This means GOD IS IN CONTROL.  All things work together for good to them who love God, to them who are the called, according to HIS PURPOSE! 

We must hang in there, band together, help each other and PRAY FOR EACH OTHER!

No comments:

Post a Comment