Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Maturing as Christians: 1 Corinthians 3

I encourage you to read all of 1 Corinthians 3

My front yard May 31, 2008


My front yard three years later in June 2011

Just as there is a huge difference in the mature garden pictured second above, there is also a vast difference in a new Christian and a mature Christian.  
Paul teaches that he approached his teachings as one gives a baby milk versus meat.  A key scripture to note is 1 Corinthians 3:6  I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
Paul goes on to teach that we are all laborers together with God.  we are His husbandry which is like being the garden...we are his building. 
Because as babes in Christ, we are carnal Christians, we must be fed God's Word in a way that we can grasp it and take it in...to apply it.  We are not yet ready for the deeper wisdom of God until God gives the increase.  Once God gives the increase, then we can start to explorer deeper Spiritual things of God and His divine wisdom.  It is important to note that it is only when God deems us ready and gives the increase that we can sink in things of the Spiritual realm as God meant for us to know.  
Proverbs 2:6 teaches us that the Lord gives wisdom, knowledge and understanding.

I am so glad that wisdom comes from the Lord.  As we learn through God's Holy Spirit how our Spirit from within fights with our carnal nature, we have the assurance as God's child that our Spiritual nature will win the victory for our Spirit within is of God.  

This is just a thought that came to mind to look up the scriptures and study when I saw the vast difference in the front yard in only three year's time.  How long does it take to become a mature christian?  I think that depends on the earnestness of the Christian to learn and have a relationship with the Lord.  We are each different in this respect I believe.  It is my hope and I want to encourage you to study and pray for God's Wisdom to help you grow in Christ.  I have the same prayer for myself today.

2 comments: